I am a glutton!!
I know! Shocking, right?
Anyway this is all about food... and in my defense, I ate these over a course of 10 days.... but i probably could have fitted it all into my tummy in one day.
First day in Melbourne and I headed off to David Jones's foodhall first thing in the morning.. I swear I felt a frisson of excitement down my spine when I jumped on the escalator going down to the basement and i saw the "Foodhall" sign. Sad, I know.
Fresh fruits stall..
Cookies stall...
The patisserie area:
Nuts stall and the meat section..
Me favourite stall... greek yoghurt... can someone please open one up in Auckland? I would be your best friend forever!! Chocolate-based yoghurt....
Luscious fruit based yoghurt...
I ate a large pottle of fruit salad with sunshine berries yoghurt... SO GOOD!!! Didn't have any space for the ham and cheese bread thing I also bought... Lauren ended up gnawing her way through most of this..
I then met up with Monica and Haz for lunch at a szechuan restaurant... $10 per set from memory???
Haz's steamed fish in a chilli gravy...
Monica's pork stir fried with beans....
My eggplant and mince casserole...
We went to Chadstone shopping centre one weekend and Monica was checking out birkenstocks in one of the stores where Mel bought her birkies years and years ago.. can't believe the shop is still there!! I got bored so I wandered off and got some krispy kreme donuts. There was a craze when these first got to Melbourne... as in lines that weave around buildings to buy these donuts.. I personally prefer Dunkin Donuts but that's just me.. Someone who shall remain nameless ate a dozen of these in one weekend..
I got Original (my favourite) and Blueberry (kinda too sickly sweet).
I bought an obscene amount of sweets this time around. I found a gem of a store in the city and went to town!! It sold all things english... yahoo!! Most of these are still in my fridge so wipe that disapproving look off your face! ;)
Viv has a thing for peanut butter so I am always on the lookout for interesting chocolate and peanut butter combos for her. Minstrels are like M&Ms except they are made of dark chocolate and are bigger. Yum!
I also bought a whole lot of tic tacs for my bag. I can't get these in NZ - cherry passion, cinnamon and apple sour. I love sour lollies... yum yum.
The skittles are different too - each one has two flavours, eg: mango on the inside and blueberry on the shell... you get the idea. The mentos are limited edition mango ones but they don't taste that nice. Multi fruit flavoured twizzlers are a waste of money... might as well chew cardboard.
I always buy some handmade lollies from Suga. Mel had these as her wedding favours and each one said Andrew <3 Mel (that's heart in case you are going Huh????).
Smiths had a create-your-own-flavour competition going on while I was there where 4 finalists had already been chosen. Obviously I had to hunt them all down and try them. Obviously!
I hope Vinnie and Lucas don't win because Vinnie's flavour was basically just bbq and Lucas's kebab flavour was just plain weird. But I have to hand it to him, it did taste like kebab, ie garlic mayonnaise.
Aline's caesar salad was pretty spot on so that's amazing but I'm not a fan of caesar. My hands-down favourite is the buttered popcorn so well done Steve... mmm my mouth is watering again.. Here, don't forget to buy me a few packets!!!
Monica discovered a small cake shop in Kew so she ordered us a cake to try.. mango mousse. Look how amazing the chocolate floral decorations are.
The kids had fun blowing out candles on the cake... and then proceeded to have a fight about who gets which flower....
Very light and very mango-ey but the sponge cake became stale the next day!!!
Monica took a day off and went into the city with me while Haz the chump worked. We headed to DJ's foodhall again because I wanted more yoghurt... I spied some portugese egg tarts for sale at the bakery so I nabbed one of them.
Nomnomnomnom pastry good.... nomnomnomnom custard goooooood.....
Passionfruit yoghurt with fruit salad.... the fruit salad was amazing!! We waited for ages for the girl to finish cutting everything up - blood oranges (because normal oranges are just not fancy enough, people), pineapple, mango, golden kiwifruit, grapes, raspberries, papaya (which monica hates and won't go near), watermelon, boysenberries, honeydew, rockmelon etc...
So stuffed but an hour later, we were ready for more punishment so we then headed off to a Japanese restaurant for their set lunch. Monica and I spent a very enjoyable hour stroking 2 Chanel bags at the Chanel boutique.... i walked out empty handed once again... everyone thinks I am mad for wanting to buy one... oh well, you shall be mine one day, my lovely!! We also walked into Miss Louise, a snotty shoe shop that sells only designer brands... I had a Julia Roberts Pretty Woman moment when the sales assistant checked us out from toe to head and then dismissed us mentally... "Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now."..... or not. (That's what Julia Roberts said when she returned to the shop the next day after she has been transformed. FYI)
I forgot how much it was per person but I think it was around AUD30! Dirt cheap for what we got.... We started off with the pickled appertiser which was ok, pretty much just chopped up mushroom and sprouts.
Next we had the steamed savoury egg custard. I know it sounds gross but it was very nice with soy sauce. I liked it. Very smooth and the last mouthful at the bottom of the bowl had a morsel of meat hiding in it. Yum!
Fresh sashimi was next.
Tempura
Haz ordered a different set and got something cooked with truffles or something instead of the tempura.
Grilled eel fillet with sweet soy sauce and some edameme beans
Star dish : Teriyaki diced wagyu beef steak. This had that melt-in-your-mouth texture and was soooo tender... but I think I prefer my steak with a bit more chew to it.
Miso soup and mixed steamed rice.
So that was all! Pretty restrained, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment