Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Budapest: Little Paris of Central Europe Part II

Once again we had Macdonalds for breakfast much to the contempt of Victor. Apparently it's not 'authentic' enough for his royal highness. So we set off for the Central Market in search of such authentic grub after we had temporarily appeased our stomach. It was a long way away and we legged it the whole way.


Cute Hungarian letter box for mailing letters...

Alas, the market was closed when we got there!! So we jumped on the scenic tram and did about 4 loops to get our moneys' worth. It was about 1 pound.

The tram went past the parliament building which is the most expensive building ever built in Budapest.




It also went along the waterfront which was great as the day was sunny and gorgeous unlike the day before.


 We finally hopped off and went and grabbed some lunch at a burger joint we walked past. It was literally the best burger I've had in a long long time. The bun was brioche-like and the meat was juicy and flavoursome. So good!


After that, we headed off to take photos of St Stephen's Basilica and the boys took a break as I literally took hundreds of photos of the gorgeous church.















I spotted this politically incorrect bar right next to the church. Negro is the name of a liquorice in Hungary as well.

Victor is always up for camwhoring.

Ditto....

This is Andrassy Avenue - Budapest's answer to Paris's Champs Elysee... complete with intertwined lovers strolling along it. 



Damon left that night as he had to go back to work on Monday. The rest of us slackers went to a restaurant that came highly recommended by our super attractive landlady and Tripadvisor. The website recommended that we booked and the boys were daredevils and shrugged when I suggested it. Luckily the control freak in me took over and I booked. The place was completely booked out when we got there and there were poor souls waiting for a table without a reservation. I smirked.

Paprika Restaurant - so named probably because Hungary is famed for its paprika. It's ranked 33rd out of 1035 restaurants in Budapest and the prices were dirt cheap. Two HUGE amazing courses and a drink for 12.90 pounds. Ridiculous.

Rustic interiors.

The boys got goulash for their entrees again. I realised when I got back to London that I didn't have goulash at all when I was there. Doh!

I read on the website that the restaurant has this interesting entree - cold raspberry soup... It was AMAZING. Okay, it tasted like melted raspberry ice cream but oh so good. Any restaurant that served dessert as a starter is a-okay with me.

My main was a roast goose leg topped with goose liver on top of a bed of red cabbage. I deliberately chose the most Hungarian sounding dish. Boy was I rewarded. The goose was fall-of-the-bone tender and the liver tasted like pillows of steak. Victor had food envy but the meal was so massive that he got to have half of mine anyway.... despite me being super sick and coughy, he still risked my germs to get at the goose. 

The boys had the same thing... some pork thing on a bed of mushy potatoes. Probably tasted as good as it looked.

No comments: