Friday, February 13, 2009

Asians Eat The Darnest Things

It's a well known fact that Asians eat the weirdest things, from placentas to boiling monkey's brains, it's the stuff that legends are made of. I would say that the things I've eaten in the past are probably quite tame in comparison to some people. The weirdest is probably bat meat - nice and tender by the way. Jenn suffered from asthma when she was a kid and bat meat is meant to be good for it. But the title for weirdest thing I've ever eaten would now have to go to: fish eye ball jelly. Yum yum and i did not do it willingly... believe you me!

We went to a restaurant in Shanghai Airport for lunch on the day we flew back to Malaysia. We had a lot of time to kill so we decided that we would have lunch before we checked in. So we got a number of dishes, including a fish dish, as per normal. Anyway, everyone had finished and I was poking around the fish, picking through the carcass looking for futher morsels of juicy fish meat. I picked up what I thought was an innocent piece of fish and popped it into my mouth. Sucked sucked sucked, swallowed swallowed swallowed. Helloooo what's this hard bone substance? Spat it out and sure enough, it was a fish eye ball. Arrrgggh I sucked the eye ball jelly clean!!!! I was traumatised and disgusted but it didn't stop me from continuing in my quest to scavenge for more fish meat. So I poked around some more. Someone, probably Jenn or Viv, made the smart ass comment that it would be funny if I come across the second eye ball (eye ball comes in pairs, ya see...). I shushed them and assured them that I was not THAT stupid.

Dear readers, can you guess what happened the very next minute after I made that bold statement?!!!!

Stupid fish and its stupid eye balls.

No comments: