Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Some Memories Never Fade!

When we were growing up, Mum and Dad used to buy us chicken rice from this stall, Wee Kee Chicken Rice. It is located on one of Sibu's busiest roads and it used to be a logistics nightmare buying chicken rice with 6 monkeys in the car. Mum and Dad would park right next to the stall (yes, on the road) and one of them would run in to buy.

It is still in the same exact spot and looked the same. I guess good things do withstand the test of time. The business is as old as Fiona, i.e. very old. Heheh

The chicken rice used to come wrapped in oily waterproof paper and an outer layer of newspaper. I have recollections of us girls just eating straight out of the paper in front of the tv. I half expected the food to still come wrapped in newspapers but alas, times have changed. But the little bag of chilli sauce and the mildly sweet and sour cucumber slices remained the same. The original chicken rice man had passed away and his son had taken over the family business. I vaguely remember his dad's face and I also vaguely remember him as a young one.

Oooooh the anticipation was killing me the whole way home.

I'm convinced he gave us more chicken because Mum told him that we used to buy from his dad many many moons ago and that I've been going on and on about having it again.

I'm happy to say it was probably the best chicken rice I've had in a while. Maybe it was the memories that made every bite tasted that much more flavoursome. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed my RM3.50 chicken rice.

All gone.... well, all gone by my standards anyway.

No comments: