Damon and I went to Berlin in late November 2012 because the Germans go bananas for Christmas and I wanted to check out their Christmas Markets. We arrived just in time for the snow to start falling and it never stopped for the 3 days that we were there. Twas magical!
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
View of the street from the apartment.
Damon slept in tbe bedroom while I took the couch in the living room as his snores needed to be contained!
Weird art found on the flat's walls:
More weird art... there were ruder ones actually than this:
After that, we went exploring. First stop was brunch at Cafe 100 Wasser which was meant to be a popular place for brunch. We jumped back on the U-Bahn and found the place without too much trouble but I didn't take any photos because it was nothing to write home about.
I noticed that the red man and green man in the traffic lights looked different to the ones I am used to.

Sure enough, they were a German thing and there are even souvenirs you could buy for them! I was stoked to find pins for them. Pins are my new thing instead of fridge magnets as they are a lot lighter to collect.
First Christmas Market we visited was in Schloss Charlottenburg, right in front of the palace.
Shop selling salmon that had been cooked over open fire in a little baguette roll. I didn't have this till the second day. So wished I had one on the first night too because it was delish!
Christmas macarons?
Apart from things to eat, people obviously come to the markets to stock up on things they need for Christmas so there were stalls selling food you would serve or use to cook your Christmas feast.
Fruitcake i think?
It wasn't long before I felt the need for my favourite winter drink which can be found everywhere at the markets.... Guhwein or mulled wine.
Damon looking deranged....
YUM!
Not sure what these were as I didn't try them... vanilla buns???
Charlottenburg Palace is the largest palace in Berlin and it was built at the end of the 17th century. It was built in baroque and rococo styles.
Gratuitous shot of me hehe:
Bahahaha:
After a quick look at the Palace, we continued on with the other side of the market:
We then hopped back on the U-bahn and went into town and came across another Christmas Market which wasn't hard as there were 60 of them dotted all around Berlin!!!
I was amused to see Langos as we searched high and low for the darn thing in Budapest.
We ducked into one of the shopping malls and discovered the most over the top and elaborate Christmas forest scenes I've ever seen.
After that, it was back to wandering aimlessly in the streets....
I bought Logan, Lauren and Isaac a bird whistle each...
A bear features on Berlin's Coat of Arms so they are to Berlin what the phone boxes are to London. So there were heaps of different ones dotted around the city. We managed to find a few which started an amusing side venture during our travels - Bear Hunting in Berlin.
Me and Football Bear.
No comments:
Post a Comment