Monday, May 20, 2013

Jordan: Day 3 & 4 - Petra The Royal Tombs

From the Street of Facades we decided to take a different route towards the Royal Tombs by climbing this rocky hill to get to the tombs.


 Looking down towards the Street of Facades


 The very barren landscape

 Making our way towards the Royal Tombs


This is the first of three tombs - Urn Tomb, so called because of the tiny urn right at the top.


 We climbed up the stairs to the main structure and hung for a bit, bathing in the warm sunlight which is a rarity in London. I love this photo that Victor took. It was quite candid.... plus i look skinny. Spot the silhouette of my teeny tiny ponytail.


Victor and I sat and gossiped like school girls again....

... while damon did his version of the sun salutation.

 Panorama of the Royal Tombs

From left to right - Palace Tombs, Corinthian Tomb, Silk Tomb and the Urn.

 Palace Tomb is the largest of the three and had a grandiose facade on five levels which was taller than the rock into which it was carved. The upper levels have since collapsed and had to be built up using large blacks of stone.


Love the color of the rocks... it's like an oil spill.

I haven't got close ups of the other tombs for some reason.

Anyway while we were on our way to the tombs, we came across this little girl peddling her wares. She must be Lauren's age. She demanded that I took a photo with her and told me how to pose. She also bossed Damon around to take the photo. I didn't realise she flipped me the bird until i checked the photo in London. Haha.

Walking away from the tombs towards the City of Petra.


Oh and if you are thinking to yourself - that's weird, she hasn't mentioned food at all in the last few posts. That's because we weren't allowed to eat. Victor said the food was too touristy so we had to toughen up and not eat until the end of the day. To be fair, he said we can eat without him but he whined and whined about the prices while I drunk the coke I buy so it was easier not to. Luckily I had bags of the biscuits I bought in Amman on me (foresight!!) but I still ended up with gastric pains at the end of the day. He still wouldn't let us eat at the first restaurant we came across though because it was still within the touristy area. I told him it would all be the same prices because it was a tourist town!! To no avail. I had to drag my sorry ass up the hill to a restaurant which charged the exact same price as the one in the valley. Victory tasted very bitter and hollow.

No comments: