Friday, October 18, 2013

Parents' UK Trip Part 1 - Welcome Dinner @ Spice Market

I bought a dinner voucher in anticipation of the parents' visit and I booked it for the first few days after they arrived.. I got them to meet me in front of Eros in Picadilly Circus after work and we rocked up to the restaurant which is on the edge of Chinatown..

Dad studiously studying the wine list.

The restaurant is fusion Indian, or as I'd like to call it - white people Indian.

The deal is for a tapas style meal with desserts. First up, we had Charred Chilli Rubbed Beef Skewer with Thai Basil Dipping Sauce. The meat was tender and the sauce was zingy.

Spiced chicken samosas with coriander yoghurt. I loved this. Deep fried goodness.

Lobster summer roll, Sriracha Emulsion and Dill. This was a bit meh. I could have done without it.

Salmon sashimi with warm crunchy rice. This was yum but then again teriyaki salmon is always good no matter what.

For some reason, we got two dishes of this - Cod with Malaysian chilli sauce, thai basil and celery. Fish is fish. It's tender and good with the rice.

Char grilled chicken with kumquat lemongrass dressing. I can't remember if i liked this.

Last but not least, ginger fried rice with a fried egg on top. I love me some egg so this was tops for me.

Dessert was Thai jewels and fruits with crushed coconut ice. i LOVED this. It reminded me of the iced desserts we get in Sibu. So good.

Ovaltine Kulfi, Caramelised Banana and Spiced Milk Chocolate Sauce. This was the only thing that sounded Indian out of the whole menu and even then it;s a very Anglicized version. It was ok, a perfectly nice but forgettable white people dessert. Plus, we were stuffed. 

It randomly had a few bits of caramelised popcorn.

Welcome to London, parents.

No comments: