Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Education


Watched An Education with Viv on my laptop tonight. Well, i watched it. She played Cafe World on her laptop which was right next to mine. I have been wanting to watch this ever since it came out but none of the people around me wanted to. Sigh.. so I waited till i can download it. I pay a monthly membership fee so don't give me that judgemental look!

An Education has an arthouse feel to it, ie not your typical blockbuster. It has had great reviews from everyone and Carey Mulligan who played the lead role was excellent. The movie is based on the early life of a journalist, Lynn Barber.

She was a 16 year old student bound for Oxford when she met a mysterious suave older gentleman. He swept her off-course and managed to win the approval of her silly strict parents. He exposed her to exciting adult things (to her naive 16 year old self) such as clubs, art auctions, slightly dodgy property deals, etc. Basically he brought color to her previously dull life. She was going to abandon her previously well-structured life and marry him when she found out that he was in fact already married. So she turned her back on him and went back to Oxford. Anyway, I really liked the story and Carey really was perfect for this role.


By the way this is the real Lynn Barber. Hmmm yupp, i can definitely see the striking resemblance to Carey. By that logic, I guess Angelina Jolie would be playing me in my life story. Heheh....

Alright alright, that wasn't very fair. This was Lynn back in her Oxford days.

PS Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Was Santa good to you? He was excellent to me!

No comments: