Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Night Out At Kermadec

I've been working unsociable hours while getting used to the new job so decided to make a bit of an effort and go out for dinner at Kermadec last Friday. By effort, I meant dinner at 6.30 and home in time to play Cafe World on facebook with the sisters by 8.30. I know, I need to slow down and curb my crazy partying lifestyle.

The viaduct was real busy as it was a Friday night and office Christmas party season.. or as I like to call it, prowling season.

View from my window seat... great for people watching!!

I booked out the restaurant for the night as you can see...... either that or no one else eats at that time except farmers who go to bed at 7 pm. What can I say? I get hungry early!!

Anyways, on with the food shots.........

Entree (looks funny without that little stroke above the second to last e)

Seared scallops with parsnip skordalia, soft poached quail eggs, crisp pancetta, hazelnut crumbs and truffled beurre bosc pears. The scallops were gynormous. Is it just me or does it look like someone accidentally gargled and spat all over the plate?? Suffice to say, Top Chef won't be ringing me anytime soon to be a judge... heheheh.

Main -
Grilled local snapper and Cloudy Bay clams with aubergine caviar, roasted artichokes, toasted pine nut and shallot sauce vierge. The fish was beautiful. The rest was a bit too fancy smancy pancy for my tastes... what's wrong with veges that you can actually pronounce???? Hehhh i'm all class.

Main -
Slow cooked Perendale lamb shoulder with lamb cutlet, crisp goats cheese sandwich, fennel purée, candied garlic, shelled broad beans, fresh mint and muscatel dressing.

The presentation deserved a close up... fresh flowers on top of a wafer sandwich. I forgot this was goats cheese so in my excitement to "eat the pretty flowers", I took a huge mouthful of the "cream" and nearly died. Yuck.. me no likey goats cheese.

Also got a side order of handcut chips. So good... but what's with the artful yet sneakily stingy arrangement?? I prefer my chips plentiful and messy, thank you.

Arty attempt of a photo that I took while waiting for the main attraction of night aka dessert!!!

Behold !!!! This was called The Workshop something or other... stupid website didn't have the dessert menu listed. Seriously, don't they know that's the most important part of any meal???? Anyway, back to the love of my life. Everything was made of cherries which I luuuuurrrve. The presentation was so pretty I almost couldn't bear to touch it. But I did the next best thing and wiped the plate clean instead. Yum yum!!

The white blob on the right was a delectably smooth ice cream made of cherry pits (!!!). It tasted kinda vaguely like almond and looked like vanilla bean. The middle red blob was a pitless cherry marinated with chamomile tea. The toadstool on the left was a cherry meringue on top with a white chocolate mousse as the stalk.

More cherries marinated in chamomile tea and cherry toadstools. The thin scroll running across the bottom of the pic is cherry paper!! It tasted like brittle licorice... Ingenius huh??

I saved the best for last... the middle bit is the balloon. It's a thin layer of cherry sorbet shaped like a balloon resting on a smear of sticky white chocolate/toffee. I felt like I was cracking an alien's egg (kinda like a scene out of Alien 2 hehe).

It was sweet and tart and yummilicious!! More please! This was only $17!! Worth every penny.

Kermadec does a dessert tasting menu where you get 5 different desserts for $55 per person. Anyone wants to go with me??

No comments: