Monday, September 12, 2011

Wellington Part 2

Second day of my trip to Wellington saw us getting up bright and early and heading off to the City Markets. This is a MUST see every time I come to Wellington. The sole purpose of this visit? Kransky.

Indoor market. There is also an outdoor veges market.

The kransky stall.

The guys very accommodatingly chucked on a few more sausages for me when they saw me aim my camera at the grill.

So good. I wish Auckland has kranskies that are this good!

Cheese stall:

City Market is the brainchild of Martin Bosley (NZ chef) so he can usually be found at the markets cooking. Here he was cooking bacon and eggs butties.

Look at them eggs!

Veges stall:

Pastry stall:


Macarons are a given. I bought some for Viv.

Cute french guy cooking my nutella crepes. He hammed it up for me but I was too slow and didn't take the photo at the right time. Drats.


Yipp, I stuffed this all down my throat after the kransky I had five minutes ago. Oh and a coffee. Wellingtonians take their coffees very seriously.
Next stop: Moore Wilsons - a foodstore that is the answer to every foodie's prayers. Because WOOP was going on, they had a mini market going on in the carpark too. Jeff got a haloumi sandwich (on top of the kransky and bacon and egg buttie he ate.. oink!):

Indian roti stall. The dude gave me a huge smile right after I took the photo. Must get my timing right, darn it.

Bakery inside Moore Wilsons that stocks all the artisan pastries and breads that famous cafes around town produced. Auckland, we need this!
Veges area:
Yoghurt etc:


AND they have a fromagerie! for both soft AND hard cheeses.. sigh.


Loads of artisan products for sale such as:
More treats on display:

There's also a bulk food section:

.. where you can buy things in retail sizes, ie the ones you get from the supermarket, or in foodservice sizes, ie gynormous sizes. Look, huge bottles of sauces for times when you feel like taking a bath in tomato sauce.

I bought a box of 12 petit fours for Viv. I said Viv but really was for me. This was from Floriditas I think... so good.
The last day there was bad, weather wise. Wellington literally went from sunny in the morning to rainy mid morning to snowy by late afternoon. After a quick dinner at KK Malaysian with Jeff and Wendy, I bidded them au revoir and headed off to catch my flight back home. The flight was delayed by 1 hour but I was lucky as the snow played havoc with airport schedules and a lot of planes were not only delayed but eventually cancelled.

Jeff and Wendy also had an adventure going home after dropping me at the airport. They live up on the hills so the snow was falling fast and thick by the time they got home. Their car skidded down the driveway so they had to walk home. Oopsie, luckily no one or car got hurt. Phew. Thanks dudes for being great hosts as usual. I had a load of fun.. so did my tummy.

Truffles I bought from the Chocolate Festival - salted caramel in the background and some other flavour that I've forgotten now in the foreground.
These were from Bohemein and they were so so so so good. I am so buying a case the next time I'm in Wellington.
I can never go past Pistachio Nougat...
Salted caramel.. ditto... can't remember the remaining flavour.

No comments: