Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mel's 40th - Eight @ The Langham

Ok so whose bright idea is it to go to an all-you-can-eat dinner? There's a fat glutton inside me that I keep under tight lock and key. I let it out every now and then and all-you-can-eat places are definitely at the top of the list! It's not pretty, peeps, so look away NOW if you don't want your fantasy of me being ruined forever. Heheh!

Anyhoo, we all rocked up to Eight and I took my blogging duties seriously for a bit. I kinda got distracted when the waitress invited us to go into the food area and so I only took photos of 2 couples on the night. Fiona, Gavin and Isaac as well as the JJs missed out. Woopsie.

The soon-to-be Kits:

The XXXs (normally I would put the surname of the dude here but since we are dealing with supreme paranoia here, I shall refrain). Happy birthday, Mel. Thanks for being an awesome sister and always cracking us up with your escapades with the general retail world. Photo has been removed at the request of the freakshow.

The dining area which was empty because us Hiis are village people and we like to eat early:

The entrance to the cooking stations is flanked by a wall full of wine. Somewhere far far away, Harrison is convulsing in excitement:

So Eight is the latest restaurant that opened at Langham. It is not just any restaurant. Ooh no my dear friends, it is a "culinary journey" quote unquote. There are eight stations and while it is an all-you-can-eat restaurant, it is meant to be fine dining standards and all cooked to order.

First station to greet us when we walked in - Salad Bar. I didn't even bother going near this by the way. I'm not wasting precious stomach real estate on rabbit food.

Bread - ditto. But I did choose a couple to test them for softness. But they were rock hard so they didn't end up tempting me. Phew.

Close up of Salad Bar:

The one thing that is guaranteed to whip (most) Asians into a crazy frenzy - fat juicy oysters. I don't like them though. The texture and the look are too similar to a giant booger to ever tempt me.

Sushi Station. I forgot to take a photo of the chef cutting up fresh sashimi.

Ham and accompaniments such as cauliflower gratin, mash potato, some hot pasta of sorts and a soup I think.

Grill station - meat and veges:

Yum cha:

Seafood station:

Indian station:

I saved the best for last - DESSERTS. I forgot to take a photo of the main station though. Darn it.

Ice cream and you can see me in the mirror!

Chocolate fountain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also forgot to take a photo of the crepe and waffle station.

I thought this was just one of those serene bonsai-y water feature next to the sushis. Turned out to be the soy sauce!

Ok over-the-top gluttony is about to commence so brace yourself.

My first plate of sashimi:

Second plate of assorted dimsums:

Third plate - Assorted meats. I had kransky sausage, scotch fillet, cauliflower gratin and the most sinful mash potato ever.

Fourth plate: Pad thai

Fifth plate: Luscious naan bread (this was actually Mel's)

Sixth plate: Butter chicken and rice

Seventh plate: Assorted seafood - salmon, kingfish and some other fish steak.

Eighth plate: I discovered my favourite hiding behind the oysters!!! Moreton Bay Bugs... yum.

Ninth Plate: Some fruit tart

Tenth plate: Deconstructed cheesecake

Eleventh plate: Really really really good bread and butter pudding

Twelth plate: Pecan pie

Thirteenth plate: Crepe with chocolate from choc fountain and fruits

Fourteenth plate: Waffle and ice cream (this was actually Viv's).

YUM and total pig-out. Yes I can eat! Shuddup.

No comments: