Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hong Kong - The Food Post Part 2

Lunch was at a porridge place in Causeway Bay. Not bad but didn't bother taking photos.

Dessert was at Fart Kei - Fiona rates this place as the best. I wasn't that impressed.
Mango glutinuous dumplings.
Mango jelly with tofu icecream. The jelly is konyatku jelly... was refreshing.

Dinner was with Viv's friend Gabriel. He took us to a Japanese buffet. We met up at 8.30 pm which meant we were starving so no pics. But I can tell you the all you can eat sashimi was beeeeeaaaaoooouuuuuuutiful.

Third day - breakkie same old same old at another Cha Chang Teng but the amusing thing is we bumped into GH and Jayden here. We were to meet at the MTR station to go to Disneyland and they obviously decided to have breakkie there too.
My favourite - Hong Kong style milk tea and egg & ham sandwich... the bread is oh so soft.
Rest of the day food will be documented in my separate Disney post.
Fourth day breakkie - another Cha Chang Teng.
Best ever ngau lam mien (beef brisket noodles) - so soft and so tasty. Yum yum.

After that we went wandering around Tsim Sa Tsui and we came across this stall selling a typical Hong Kong roadside snack - Little Egg (direct translation). I guess because it looked like a tray of eggs. HKD11... when we walked past it was dead so I wasn't interested. On the way back there was a long queue!!!! I can't miss out!!!
Not impressed. Tasted like a very plain waffle
Lunch was at Langham Place's mall in Mongkok.Kinda ironic that I went all the way from NZ to Malaysia to HK to have "fresh" NZ beef.I had the fried rice with beef + a drink for HKD38. Was very nice and flavoursome. I had this again the next day for dinner.

Breakfast on the 5th daty - another Cha Chang Teng.
Viv's disgusting choice - porridge.
My healthy choice - Thick toast with condensed milk (which I scraped off) and ham and eggs.

We were off to the Peak today so I decided to get some snacks for the day from Wing Wah, a popular traditional bakery in Hong Kong.
I got their lou por beng (wife's pastry). 6 for HKD24.
Apparently the legend has it that there was once a loving couple. The wife sold herself off in order to raise money to treat her father in law's illness. Her husband then came up witha type of pastry and sold it in order to buy his wife back. They then lived happily ever after. The pastry is then called Wife's Pastry.
Very fresh. Very crumbly. Very rich. When I opened the box, Jayden came walking over from a far distance away. I felt like the Piep Piper.

Another dessert stop that night at Honeymoon Dessert. Viv had a watermelon juice.
I had a mango and pomelo sago with tau fu far. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I want to marry this dessert.

Had another dessert before we went up to our hotel that night. This is fruit bowl with mango juice and coconut ribbon.
Fancy red bean soup. Red bean on one side and coconut cream on the other.

So that chronicled what we ate in Hong Kong. Seemed like a lot of sweets I know... but in my defense, we wallked from 10 am to 10 pm everyday hehe ....

No comments: