Thursday, December 4, 2008

Second Day in KL

Hopped in a taxi and went off to KLCC, KL's premier luxury brands shopping mall. It is also home to the Petronas Twin Towers, Malaysia's claim to fame. This is where Sean Connery the old saggy guy got with the then young Catherine Zeta Jones in some movie.... before she married another old saggy guy, Michael Douglas. To be fair, the twin towers are pretty impressive and cool looking. I did feel pretty cool to be a (part time) Malaysian looking at them.



Went into Chanel and nearly bought a bag. Then I remembered that I am unemployed and the economy is down in the dumps so I refrained. Ok the real story is that I couldn't decide on which one and Mum insisted the one I didn't like as much was nicer. So I hesitated and left. THEN common sense kicked in and told me not to be so frivolous. Oh well, maybe when I landed my own geriatric billionare ala Catherine Zeta Jones...heheh.... i joke i joke.

I vaguely remembered Weng (hi, Weng!!) saying that there are free tickets distributed everyday to go up the towers. But there is a quota in order to minimise the disruptions caused to the office workers there. Anyway it was nearly midday by the time we got there so I wasn't too optimistic of our chances. Got to the entrance and the display said that the tickets being given out at that moment were for the 6.15 pm session. So we were going to turn around and leave but Mum insisted that I ask if we could get tickets to the next day's morning session. The guy behind the counter then gave me tickets to the 12.15pm session, aka 30 minutes away!!! Score!!! Yes, mother you are the wisest person in the whole wide world.
Wandered around the mall a bit more. Ate a light snack (one of many many meals everyday) and then headed back to the tower entrance. We had to sit through a quick introductory video about the Twin Towers and Petronas. Next, we had to go through a security checkpoint not unlike the airport baggage security checkpoint. Then we jumped in a super fast lift to go up to the bridge. It wasn't all that impressive because it was similar to all other towers, Auckland SkyCity etc etc.

Entrance to the Bridge. Can you spot my parents?

Obligatory photo:

Views from the Bridge:

Jumped in the lift to go back down after about 10 minutes (The Hii family being the killjoys that we are, was ready to go after 2 minutes heheh). There was an area with about 4 puzzles for the public to solve. Mum and I managed to solve the following two:


Forgot to take photos of the other two. Ok it was because I couldn't solve them so I didn't haha. One of them still hasn't been solved yet. Dad commented that Mel would spend all day trying to solve it and then be able to come up with the solution. Oh dad, so deluded.

Picture showing all the different towers around the world aka Men's Egos, Mine is Bigger Than Yours Neh Neh Neh Neh Neh:

Wandered around KLCC a bit more after that and then headed back to the mall underneath our hotel, Times Square. Hailed a taxi to go back and it was a bit of an uphill battle. 9 out of every 10 taxi drivers refuse to use the taxi meter. Instead, they would give us a quote. eg: $10 to go to Times Square when it only costs $5. It's easier to hail a taxi in the morning that would use the meter as business is a lot quieter. It's a lot harder in the afternoons when the traffic is really bad. Darn thieving taxi drivers!!! We did meet a taxi driver who is way way way richer than the average person though and so he played by the rules. Mr Money Bags Taxi Driver owns a house that he bought thirty years ago for $40K, now worth $1M and a three storey building which he rents out for $18K a month for $80K, now worth millions too. Nice work! He works 3 hours a day as a taxi driver to pass the time. Mum said his wife probably nags him too much so he works to avoid her... hehehe.

Dinner for that night was steamboat at Johnny's in Times Square. We ended up coming back here twice more. We are creatures of habit, ok? RM46 bucks for this spread.
Yum yum! All gone.

After dinner I discovered something totally cool!!! There's a full sized crazy roller coaster inside the mall!!!!! I am so going on it with the girls when we stay here next month... horhorhor... but have to do it when the parents aren't looking!

No comments: