Friday, December 19, 2008

Wedding Season aka Open Season

End of year is wedding season in Sibu because it's close to Christmas and Chinese New Year which is the time when people come home for their annual family reunions. As such, it's a good time to have weddings to minimise hassles for out of towners. As most of you know, two of my sisters are also getting married this month. I've come to think of wedding season as open season at the moment. Instead of deer hunting, the animal of choice is ME!!! I have gone through the following situation many many times now.

Stranger A: Congratulations. I heard your daughter is getting married. Oh is this the one getting married?
Mother: Oh no, this is the 3rd daughter. Not her.
Stranger A: Oh! When is your turn? (to me)
Me: I'm secretly a lesbian and am planning my civil ceremony with my hot girlfriend. (Ok I didnt say anything. Just shake my head politely)
Mother: Aiya, she is naughty. Dragging her feet. You need to match make for her.
Stranger A: Backs away in horror......

Heheheheheh

Anyway Mother and I went to attend the wedding mass of Yan Yan, Auntie Ivy's daughter. Auntie Ivy used to live in the apartment above ours at Hock Peng. The tiny apartment we grew up in. A place that held a lot of memories for us.

Never attended a wedding mass before and it was very ritualistic. The programme was 22 pages thick. I did enjoy belting out Ave Maria though.... not sure if the guy sitting in front of me enjoyed it as much as me.
Interiors of St Mary's church:
The friar (?!? hehehe Robin Hood Prince of Thieves...Kevin Costner --> be still Ah Here's heart). Hey, notice how he was wearing jandals???? I thought maybe there was going to be a baptism for some reason during the ceremony which would explain his footwear. But he remained dry the whole time. Hmm curious.
The happy couple and the Father. She looks exactly like Auntie Ivy. PS: What's with the white suit?
Wedding March. Held my camera the wrong way and I can't rotate the file:


I found the Father's voice amusing so I took a short video of it:


The mushy part --> the vows:



PS: I would have taken a pic of the kiss but it was so PG I didn't bother. Peck on the cheek!! Very weak... and the audience actually went "Wooooooo". Hmmm these Sibuans are very prim and proper.

No comments: